Thursday, June 18, 2009

Miracle Drugs

Week 3:  June 14-20

I've been loading up on Vitamin C since I got here, so I have yet to get sick like almost every other counselor here. Sweet. I have also continued to abuse the free coffee/tea bar. It is a glorious thing.

This week I have been cleaning bathrooms, washing dishes, setting tables, painting walls, and hitting kids with swimming pool noodles. Tomorrow I will be cleaning outhouses! Despite the drudgery of the busy work, God has been teaching me to have a servant's heart. I'm not sure whether that is something you learn or something you just make a conscious decision to have. The Bible says to do everything for the glory of God; in this way, men will see your good works and praise the Lord. Maybe joyfully scrubbing toilets will have that effect. Maybe not. If nothing else, maybe it will elicit my praise.

When someone gets mail at camp, they are required to stand up in front of everyone in the dining hall and sing (and dance to) “Gray Squirrel.” If you are not familiar with that song, it goes like this:


Gray squirrel, gray squirrel,
Shake your bushy tail.
Gray squirrel, gray squirrel,
Shake your bushy tail.

Crinkle up your little nose.
Stick it down between your toes.

Gray squirrel, gray squirrel,
Shake your bushy tail.


Good times. I’ve done it two or three times now. The “shake your bushy tail” part requires you to turn around and shake your rear end at your audience, but it’s not so embarrassing anymore. Keep on sending that mail!

I have gotten to help lead worship a few times in chapel, and that has been a blast. Our silly skit night also went really well, including my part as Susan Boyle in “Echo Ranch Idol.” I wore a frizzy-haired gray wig and drew bushy eyebrows on my face. There will be pictures someday.

Hope everyone back on the homefront is doing well. Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers! Love to all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Honey! It's so good to get your updates. It sounds like everything is going well. It's wonderful to see God's work in you and through you.

    Do you remember that Maddie used to sing the "Gray Squirrel" song in pre-school? She only knew the chorus, though. It gave us many laughs.

    I love you so much!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete