Monday, June 15, 2009

Crumbs from Your Table

I accidentally posted content from "Vertigo (1)" into "Vertigo (2)", but the second one is, in fact, updated. So make sure you read it!

It's a strange experience, being thrust back into civilization after hiding out in the woods for two whole weeks. I felt a little like Thoreau in his value of Walden Pond. Once you get to this kind of place, you get used to living simply. There are more important things to worry about than seeing movies or hanging out at Target or getting stuck at traffic lights. You learn to appreciate the company of others who have nothing to hide, or the beauty of the sun setting behind the mountains, or the magnificent bald eagles you see flying overhead, or the fingerprints of God on the faces of the children you meet each week. These are the things that make life on earth worthwhile.

There wasn't a whole lot to see back in town, to my surprise. Juneau has a very "small town" feel to it. The streets are lined with little shops and restaurants, probably to attract tourists. The scenery is breathtaking. The mountains are a lot farther away back at camp, but you are right next to them once you get to Auke Bay/Juneau. Two other girls and I spent about 20 minutes searching for an open coffee shop before the concert, but to no avail. We had to settle for coffees at McDonald's, but I guess it was worth it. Everyday Sunday did a pretty good job, though I didn't know any of their songs. After the show was over and I had successfully withdrawn cash from the ATM machine (yay, now I finally have real money!), we all headed over to Fred Meyer to purchase our respective necessities. I finally bought some eyeliner to replace the one that disappeared into the abyss of nothingness and shampoo to replace the bottle I never had. I also picked up the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Best Of" album because it was $7. Who could pass that up, right?

Camp has started again, this time for 12- to 15-year-olds. I'm on work staff for the week, so I get to do things like mop floors and wash dishes and paint ceilings and scrub bath houses. It's not always the most fun thing ever, but I'm doing my best to have a good attitude about it. The Bible says to be joyful in all things. Lord, help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment