Sunday, June 7, 2009

Do You Feel Loved

Week 1:  May 31-June 6

I'm not sure I've ever been as consistently tired as I am right now. All the staff have hit the ground running since we got here. Best part is, I know it will only get worse! But I think there's something to be said for finding God in the midst of exhaustion. When it comes down to the point where you physically have nothing else to give, God will sustain. And while I'm not excited about that process, I am eager for the outcome.

The progressive dinner was a blast. The counselors were divided up into 5 groups, and we traveled around the campground to different staff workers' homes. We ate their delicious food and talked with them about camp and where they're from. It was fun getting to know each of them a little better.

A few days ago, each counselor was assigned a "parent", or staff worker here at camp. My "mom" is a woman named Lyn, and her husband is Ray. They are two of the sweetest people I have ever met. And she had me make a list of all my favorite things so she can buy them for me when she goes to town. I made sure to include that I love coffee, hot tea, chocolate, and mugs. This is going to be a good relationship.

Last night was the counselors' graduation from orientation. We were given a small Bible, staff t-shirt, and lanyard that had keys and a CPR mask attached. Afterwards, we sang worship songs and then listened to a short message on when Jesus washed His disciples' feet. The theme was humility and servanthood here at camp. After the message, all the "parents" washed their "children's" feet. Many of you know how much I hate feet, so I felt sorry for the workers - but I couldn't believe how joyful and willing they were to do it for us. It really was a beautiful way to get the message across. Lyn prayed for me and gave me a huge hug. I realized then that it had been a week since I had hugged my real parnets goodbye.

Today is our last day before camp officially begins. The counselors are going on horseback rides at 2 and 3pm, which I'm pumped about. The kids will get here tomorrow around noon, and then I'll get to play "Mommy" to a bunch of 10- and 11-year-old girls for the week. I'm feeling more excited than nervous right now, but that is certainly subject to change over the course of the day!

Oh, yeah, we also got trained in first aid and CPR, so now I'm certified to bring people back from being almost dead. And tonight each of the counselors were assigned our "JC", or junior counselor. The JCs hail from Scottsdale, Arizona and are part of a ministry team of high schoolers who will be helping out with camp this week. My JC's name is Lauren, and she will be shadowing (stalking) me all week long.

Thank you all for your continued prayers. I really can't say that enough. They are so needed. God is going to do great things.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Reagan...It is so fun and inspiring to read about your experience fo far. If it ended before the campers even arrived, it sounds like it has been worthwhile. I am so looking forward to hearing all the great things God will continue to reveal to you and do through you in the next several weeks. Grace, much grace, upon you. I pray for you as the campers arrive today that you would have a very real sense of God's presence, His covering over you, and His leading you in all aspects of your day. I believe He has many divine appointments for you...friends, mentors, mentees. People for you to encourage, and people to encourage you.

    By the way, I have a friend who lives somewhere in Alaska. If you happen to meet a guy named Josh, ask him if he knows me. :) He has sent me several photos of the amazing natural beauty, so I am quite jealous that you are experiencing that in person. Soak it all in...and take many photos. :) He did tell me of the "warmer" weather they were experiencing, and I do pray that the cooler weather comes to stay for a bit. And, yes, I think that will earn you a jewel in your crown for enduring the freeze.

    I am so excited to continue reading as you walk in the path He has prepared for you. As you keep your heart open before Him, He will fill you with many good things, which you can then share with those around you. "Open your mouth (or heart) wide and I will fill it." Praying for you with much love.

    ReplyDelete