Saturday, May 23, 2009

In a Little While

For those who have already seen my Echo Ranch page, I thought it would be good to post something a little different.

Seven days out, and I am scared to death.  Alright, maybe not quite to that extent, but saying that this will be a completely new experience for me would be an understatement.  I fully expect to be challenged, humbled, and frustrated.  More than anything, I fear that I will be ineffective as a counselor and example to these kids.  Despite my doubts, however, I know that I will also be filled with joy, rewarded, and awe-filled.  God has called me up there for a reason.  I look forward to seeing His plan unfold, however unsearchable His ways are.

I read something in Isaiah 51 that I found very encouraging.

12 "I, even I, am he who comforts you. 
       Who are you that you fear mortal men, 
       the sons of men, who are but grass,

 13 that you forget the LORD your Maker, 
       who stretched out the heavens 
       and laid the foundations of the earth, 
       that you live in constant terror every day 
       because of the wrath of the oppressor, 
       who is bent on destruction? 
       For where is the wrath of the oppressor?

 14 The cowering prisoners will soon be set free; 
       they will not die in their dungeon, 
       nor will they lack bread.

 15 For I am the LORD your God, 
       who churns up the sea so that its waves roar— 
       the LORD Almighty is his name.

 16 I have put my words in your mouth 
       and covered you with the shadow of my hand— 
       I who set the heavens in place, 
       who laid the foundations of the earth, 
       and who say to Zion, 'You are my people.' "

If the Lord lays it on your heart, please pray--among other things--that... 
  • I will allow the Lord to use me however He sees fit.  It will require a great deal of patience, humility, and perseverance.  You can never know how much of those qualities you have until they are tested.  
  • the hearts of the other counselors and camp staff will be open to instruction and full of love and effective teaching for the campers
  • the campers will also come with open hearts that will be receptive to God and His love for them
Thank you for the love and support so many of you have already shown.  I really appreciate it.  This is going to be an amazing experience, and I can't wait to share it with all of you.

I've been asked a lot of questions about camp, so I'll try to list the FAQ here.

What kind of access will you have to the outside world?
I will not have cell phone service, so I'll get to go through a nice detox from text messaging.  I will have Internet access (obviously), but I won't get to heavy bandwidth-hogging things like uploading pictures or videos.  Those will have to wait until I get back home in August.

When are you leaving/returning?
For all who are interested in the nitty gritty travel details, I will be departing from Oklahoma City on May 30th at 12:40pm and arriving in Juneau at 9:39pm (local time).  I'll be starting the journey homeward on August 18th, flying overnight, and arriving in OKC at 12pm on August 19th.

What is the time difference?
There is a three hour time difference between Juneau and CST - they are three hours behind.

What will the weather be like?
Highs should be in the 50s and 60s.  It rains a lot.

What kind of camp is Echo Ranch/What kinds of kids go to Echo Ranch?
Just check out the website:  http://discoverechoranch.com/default.aspx.  You'll find a lot of detailed information there that I don't care to describe in detail myself.  I'm too lazy.  And it's 3:30am.

I think this is about it for now.  Feel free to leave questions, comments, complaints, cookie recipes, music recommendations...  Just whatever you feel led to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment